Carrog War Memorial

Home     War Memorial History    Photographs     Specifications     The Situation      Links     Contact     Admin

Latest


Little is known of the origin of the Memorial.

The only records available at this time (December 2006) are as follows:

A note from the Llansantffraid Parish Council records of 22 August 1923 where a minute refers to a letter regarding Memorials and Ancient Monuments, the minute, in Welsh, states:‘members of the council present promised to draw the attention of the local committee involved with a memorial to the soldiers to the matter’

A notation in the records of the Church of St. Ffraid (St. Bride or Bridget) in 1924, it is recorded that part of the proceeds of a Jumble Sale was given to the Carrog War Memorial.

We cannot, therefore, even be certain when the memorial was erected. It is surprising there is no record of any Service of Dedication, but nothing has been found.

The original monument was probably carved and erected by Huw Morris, Monumental Mason, of Corwen around 1923/4.

The additional lettering (1939-1945 War) we know was carved by John Evan Jones, Monumental Mason of Corwen, successor to Huw Morris.

The Memorial has occasionally be repainted, always somewhat unsuccessfully, over the years by the local Council (usually due to the lack of funds, re-gilding is an expensive process).

In 2004 a local Fund-raising Association requested the Community Council renovate the Memorial. Although unwilling to undertake the entire project, the Council assisted in the renovation by authorising the work and providing some funding.

The choice of the site for the Memorial may be thought strange today, but it should be remembered at the time there was often friction between the chapels and the church, there is no ‘central’ point in the village, other than the road junction close to the Memorial, and, quite frankly, it was possibly felt there were few, if any, other viable options.

The choice of site was in fact a piece of land that belonged to the local Rectory. It faces neither church nor chapel, and can therefore be considered to be independent of both, and is close enough to the road junction to accommodate the numbers who would probably have attended the Annual Act of Remembrance in the early 1900s.

It is quite possible the site was suggested by the Rector and accepted by the committee.

It must be remembered that, although disestablishment started in 1921, church property was not passed to the Representative Body of the Church in Wales (the Trust in which ownership of all church property in Wales is vested) until 1929.

Whether the Rector omitted to inform the church authorities deliberately or otherwise will never be known, what can be stated is that the Representative Body did acknowledge the existence of the Memorial when they sold the property in 1979.

Consequently, the Memorial is not mentioned on the deeds to the property.